When I was a kid, I always wished I could have a pair of wings. After all, who wouldn’t want a pair of wings you could flap and fly into the clouds? Well, unfortunately for many of us, that wish is granted as we get a little older. Except, not exactly in the manner we wished for.
Yes, as we get older we sure can have wings all right, but they certainly won’t help us fly. Luckily, with the right arm exercises for women, we can help target those muscles and burn fat all over our bodies. Of course, you can’t spot burn fat, but we can definitely definitely target them for muscle growth.
So we need to change our line of thinking. Now it’s time to focus on clipping those wings. Read on for some good advice how.
Before You Look for Arm Exercises for Women, Fire Up the Cardio
Arm workouts are great for toning and building muscle. However, first and foremost, you need to start melting away the fat. And you know what that means–it’s cardio time! Yep, truth be told, all the strength training exercises in the world won’t do a whole lot of good for you if you aren’t amping up that cardio.
Why? Well, flab is exactly what it sounds like–a layer of fat. So if you’re building the muscle that’s covered up with fat, you still need to remove the layer to reveal the hard work you’re doing underneath. That means cardio.
What’s the best form of cardio to help you get rid of that fat? Well, everyone will tell you something different, but I’m going to go with swimming. Why?
- It burns lots of calories–Even a lazy swim is going to burn about 250 calories in 30 minutes. Amp it up and your calorie burning will shoot through the roof.
- It’s constant resistance–Every time you move those arms, those muscle fibers are firing. Why? Because the water is much denser than air. In other words, it’s constant resistance training.
- It’s easy on the joints–Sure you can go to one of those cardio weight classes, but if you have any joint problems, all those swift dumbbell exercises are going to cause elbow pain. Not swimming. Nothing is easier on the joints, period.
What Are the Best Arm Workouts for Women?
Any time anyone asks me what the best exercise is, I kind of chuckle. Why? Well, best is usually an opinion. Sure, there are certain exercises that are more effective than others, and with arm workouts it’s no different. However, generally speaking, any arm exercises you find will do the job, as long as you:
- Make sure to keep good form.
- Move through your reps slowly.
- Stay consistent.
However, I do have my favorite exercise for losing the joggle. And it just so happens that a recent study by the American Council of Exercise supports my opinion. Their research shows that the exercise that the exercise that is best for working the back of the arms is the push-up. Well, more specifically, the triangle push-up.
Basically, it’s just like a traditional push-up, except you move your hands in front of your chest in the form of a triangle. But beware, it isn’t easy. That said, don’t be afraid to:
- Start out on your knees rather than your toes.
- Spread your hands apart a bit, but keep the triangle formation.
Here’s a great tutorial posted on YouTube.
The Good News is…
Whatever arm exercises for women you choose, I have good news for you. For most women, one of the first places fat leaves is the arms. So amp up the cardio and try an arm workout you feel comfortable with. You’re wings will fly away in no time!