Looking to get in better shape this year?
Whether you’re starting to work out for the first time in your life or you’re returning to a fitness routine after a bit of a break, it can be a bit challenging to get started.
And when you have responsibilities like a job, raising a family, paying bills, maintaining your home…do I need to go on?…it’s no wonder that you’d rather work out at home than drive to the crowded gym and pay for an expensive membership.
There are a lot of reasons why you might want to start working out at home.
Maybe you don’t like how crowded the gym is, or maybe the cost of a membership is too high for you.
Maybe you don’t want to deal with the hassle of driving somewhere to go work out. Or maybe you just don’t have the time.
No matter what your reason is, there are plenty of ways to get started working out at home — even if you don’t know the first thing about fitness.
If you’re wondering how to start working out at home, the good news is it doesn’t have to be as challenging as you might think.
We’ve put together a detailed guide that will walk you through everything you need to know about getting started.
Keep reading for tips on how to get started, what equipment you’ll need, and how to create a workout routine that’s perfect for you.
How to Start Working Out at Home: 10 Helpful Tips
Getting in shape can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. With these 10 tips, you’ll discover everything you need to know about how to start working out at home.
1. Make a plan
Before you start working out at home, you need to make a plan. Figure out what you want to achieve and how you’re going to achieve it.
Are you looking to lose weight, gain muscle, or improve your overall fitness?
What kind of workouts do you want to do?
Do you have any health conditions or limitations that you need to take into account?
Once you have a plan in place, you’ll be able to better focus your efforts and stay on track.
- Figure out what you want to achieve — If you get in a car and don’t know where you’re going, you’ll drive around aimlessly and waste a lot of time and energy. The same thing goes for starting a fitness routine without any goals. You need to have clear objectives if you want to be successful.
- Determine how you’re going to achieve your goals — Once you know what you want to achieve with your fitness goals, you can then figure out how you’re going to do it. There are a lot of workout programs out there, and it can be tough to know which one is right for you. If you’re just starting out, it might be a good idea to find a beginner’s program that will walk you through the basics (more on this later).
- Create a weekly workout schedule — The most important thing you can do to stay on track with working out at home is to actually schedule your workouts. This will hold you accountable and make it less likely that you’ll skip a session.
2. Start small
When you’re starting to work out, it’s important to start small. Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to do too much too fast.
Take the time to get used to your new routine and not feel overwhelmed.
You can always increase the intensity or length of your workouts as you get more comfortable.
This will help you prevent injuries and burnout, which are two of the most common problems beginners face.
3. Take advantage of online workouts
When you start working out, it can be a good idea to use online workouts. That way, you can learn how to do the exercises correctly and not feel overwhelmed. And you don’t have to create your own workouts.
These days, there are tons of workout videos you can stream online for free. Or, you can find paid subscriptions that offer a wide variety of workouts to choose from.
You can find all types of workout, including cardio, HIIT, muscle building, yoga, and Pilates.
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the best online workouts for women:
- What kind of workout do you want to do? There are a variety of different workouts to choose from, so find one that fits your interests and needs.
- What is the quality of the video? Make sure the workout video is high quality and provides good instruction.
- How long will the workout take? Make sure the workout isn’t too long or too short.
- Does the workout offer modifications if you’re not used to working out? Many online workouts offer modifications, so you can make the exercise easier or harder as needed.
4. Invest in some basic equipment…if you want
If you’re working out at home, there are a few pieces of basic equipment that can make your workouts a lot easier and more effective.
Some of the most important pieces of equipment to invest in include:
- Resistance bands
- A set of dumbbells
- A stability ball
These items are relatively affordable, and they can go a long way in helping you create effective workouts.
But I do want to point out that it’s not absolutely necessary to buy these things. Especially if you’re just starting out, there are plenty of bodyweight exercise routines you can do without any equipment.
5. Be consistent
One of the most important things you can do to make progress with your fitness routine is to be consistent.
It’s tempting to skip a workout now and then, but if you want to see results, you need to be diligent with your training.
Aim to work out at least three times a week, and try to stick to the same time each day so it becomes a habit.
If you’re struggling to find the time or energy to work out, remember that even just 10-15 minutes of exercise is better than nothing.
This is where creating a weekly workout schedule that you force yourself to stick to can be so helpful when you start working out at home.
6. Find an accountability partner
Having an accountability partner can help you stay on track with your fitness goals. This is someone who will help push you to work out, and who you can also help push when needed.
Find someone who is supportive and wants to see you succeed. Ideally, it’s someone who has similar goals to you and is also working out at home.
This can be a great way to keep you motivated and on track with your workouts.
Your accountability partner could be someone you live with (spouse, roommate), a friend, or even an online group.
7. Drink plenty of water & eat healthy foods
It’s important to drink plenty of water and eat healthy when working out. After all, they say reaching your health goals is 80% diet and 20% exercise.
It is recommended to drink about 1 liter (about 4 cups) of water per hour during your workout, along with some carbohydrates for energy.
Eating a balanced diet will help you stay strong, energized, and focused during your workouts. It also helps maintain a healthy weight which can make it easier to stick with your fitness routine in the long run.
- Eat a balanced diet. This means consuming a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and proteins.
- Avoid processed foods as much as possible.
- Make sure you’re getting enough protein, especially if you’re trying to build muscle.
- Avoid eating too close to your workout. Give your body enough time to digest food before you exercise.
- Use supplements to fill in the gaps. If you’re having a hard time getting all of the nutrients you need from your diet, there are supplements for women that can help.
8. Take breaks when needed
Working out at home is a great way to improve your fitness level, but it’s important to take breaks when needed.
Rest days are an essential part of any workout routine, and they help your body recover from the previous workouts.
If you don’t give your body time to rest, you might end up with injuries or overtraining syndrome.
So how do you know when you need a break? Here are some signs that it’s time for a rest day:
- You’re feeling sore all over and muscles aren’t recovering between workouts.
- You’re struggling to complete your usual workouts or not seeing any progress.
- You’re constantly tired, moody, and/or stressed out.
9. Track your progress
You’ve already set your fitness goals, now you need to track your progress so you can stay on track and be motivated.
One way to do this is by keeping a fitness journal. This could be a physical notebook or an online journal.
In it, you’ll want to track the date, time, and type of workout you did, how many reps and sets you completed, how you felt during and after the workout, and any other notes you might want to track.
This is a great way to keep yourself accountable and motivated, as you can see how far you’ve come and how much progress you’ve made over time.
If you’re not the type of person who likes to journal, another way to track your progress is by taking daily photos of yourself. Sometimes it can be hard to notice changes in our bodies just looking in the mirror but when you have photos to compare, it’s easier to see the progress you’re making.
There are also weight loss apps out there that make it super easy to track your progress if losing weight is one of your goals.
A fitness tracker is another great tool to help you monitor your progress when starting to work out at home. These devices track your progress and keep you accountable.
They can be very motivating, as they show how much progress you’ve made over time, like how much your resting heart rate has improved, how many calories you’ve burned, and more.
10. Reward yourself
One way to stay motivated when working out at home is to reward yourself after reaching milestones on your way to your goals.
This could be something simple, like a healthy snack or drink, or something more extravagant, like a new piece of fitness equipment.
When you complete a tough workout, be sure to give yourself a pat on the back—you deserve it!
The key is to find something that will motivate you and make you want to work out again.
It’s also important not to over reward yourself as this can nullify your hard work and motivation. So find the right balance for you and stick to it!
Final Thoughts on How to Start Working Out at Home
Knowing how to start working out at home can seem daunting at first, but with all of the tips above, you’re on your way to a successful fitness routine.
Remember to take things slow and steady at first, as you don’t want to overdo it and get injured.
Ease into your workouts, focus on proper form, and take plenty of breaks when needed.
And lastly, be sure to track your progress so you can stay motivated and see how far you’ve come.
Good luck and happy working out!
Have any more questions about how to start working out at home? Drop us a comment below!