While Sir Mix-a-Lot made having a big butt really cool, not all of us would agree. And while he made it clear that he liked big butts and he couldn’t lie, some of us would do anything to make ours smaller, which is why we’re providing you with this guide to butt workouts for women.
Meanwhile, other women who tend to carry their weight up top would give a cup size or two if only they could add it to their rear. Very different problems, true. But the bottom line here is that, with studies showing that around 60% of men consider themselves to be “butt men,” there’s no getting around the fact that we’re concerned about what we’re carrying around on our posterior.
Common Booty Problems
Before we get into how to mold the butt you want, first let’s take a closer look at the most common issues.
- The flat butt–While the flat butt is a blessing because it’s easy to keep in check, it can also leave you feeling less feminine (thanks Sir Mix-a-Lot). The solution to a flat butt is to add a bit of mass and shape. But you can’t achieve this by adding on weight, because your weight goes up top. So you’re going to have to focus on working those butt muscles.
- The pear shape–Curves are feminine, and that’s a good thing. However, if you’re pear-shaped, you can stay fit looking up top but your backside can easily grow too wide. What you need is a way to minimize the width, while making sure you get the roundness of a good bubble butt.
- The bulging butt--The good news here is that you already have that volume other women want and that men drool over. The bad news is that it’s too big and bulges in the wrong places. Bubbly butts look nice in those yoga pants, but the bulging butt makes you want to do whatever you can to take the attention away. What you want is to burn some of the fat and lift that booty.
The Two Best Exercises to Answer to Your Booty Problems
To every problem, there is an answer, right? So how can you shape your butt to look and feel the way you want? Here are the top butt workouts for women that we’ve found to lift and shape up that booty.
1. Lunges–The quintessential butt toning move, the lunge offers many benefits. First of all, you can do it anywhere. Sometimes when the hallway is empty at work, I’ll lunge my way all the way to the bathroom (assuming I don’t have to go that bad). Secondly, not only does it tone great, but if you do them correctly, you also get a really good stretch. And finally, by shifting weight from leg to leg, you’re forced to work on your balance, which means your tightening your tummy at the same time. Bonus core workout! Watch the video below for tips on doing a good lunge.
2. Squats–Possibly the most important move you can do for your lower body, as it works all the major leg/butt muscles. Squats can be done with or without weights. Remember, keep your feet shoulder width apart and back straight. And don’t feel the need to go too deep into the squat. Just stick that butt out like you’re going to sit down and stop when your thighs are parallel with the floor. Here’s a great video to teach you proper squat form.
Will Running Give Me a Better Butt?
If you think you see more and more people out running every day, you’re right. This tried and true exercise is currently more popular than it’s ever been. Everywhere you look, there’s a new 5K benefit to sign up for. And you can’t go to the grocery store without seeing someone wearing a t-shirt boasting that they finished such-and-such run.
So that leaves you thinking–if all those people can do it, can’t I? Surely this is a way to tone my butt, once and for all, right? Well, yes and no.
First of all, let me start by saying that there are tons of benefits to running, from shaping to increased cardiovascular health, making it one of the best butt workouts for women. And there are tons of plans out there to get you started. In fact, when I finally decided to dive back into getting fit a few years back, it was the Couch to 5K plan that got me started (which I highly recommend if you want to become a runner).
However, there are a few drawbacks. These include:
- It can be harsh on your knees.
- Some data suggest hat sustained jogging is not best for your cardiovascular system.
- It doesn’t target your butt as well as you might want.
Is it a good exercise with plenty of benefits? Yes. However, there are a few things you could do to make it better (and target your bum a bit more)…
1. Walk instead of run–It seems silly really. You’d think there’d be fewer benefits to walking, as opposed to running, which is obviously a harsher exercise. However, the truth is that brisk walking will give you most of the same benefits. Meanwhile, it will save your knees from all that shock running puts them through. And if you walk up an incline, it allows you to focus on your booty more specifically.
2. Sprint short distances–While the trend is to run slower and longer with all the 5ks, 10ks, and marathons out there, sprinting short distances will do more to shape your posterior. Have you noticed how lanky marathon runners usually are? However, if you’ve ever known a sprinter, chances are they have a bubble butt that dreams are made of. The great thing about sprints is that, even though you feel like death during the action, you get to walk or jog slowly to recover.
How can you get started? Well, my current sprint workout looks like this:
- Warm up jog for 5 minutes.
- Sprint 15 seconds, walk or jog 45 seconds. Repeat 19 times.
- Cool down jog for 5 minutes.
3. Mix it up–I get bored easily. And quite frankly, after one day of sprints, you’re going to be so sore you won’t even want to walk the next day! Don’t feel like you have to be tied to any one form of cardio. Try doing sprints for one workout, then power walk the next. And maybe the third workout could be your long, steady jog. There are benefits to all of them! And you know what they say, variety is the spice of life.
One of the Best All Around Butt Workouts for Women
Of course, if you’re looking for a pre-packaged workout plan that’s laid out nice and neat for you, and you’re willing to spend a little money to get it, then there are a million different ones out there. A simple Google search will yield hundreds if not thousands of them. So how can you choose one?
Easy–there’s no contest. If you’re looking for the ultimate butt workout, you’ve got to go with Beachbody’s Brazil Butt Lift. How do I know? Well, because I use it! Why do I love it so much?
First of all, it specifically targets butts. Sure there are bonus side effects, but you simply can’t find a more butt-specific workout out there. Also, the workout comes with a guide that helps you troubleshoot your butt issues. From there, it helps you set up an individualized workout plan to target your specific issues. And finally, it’s fun! Some people might find it cheesy, but the music and dancing keep things fun without watering things down.
Can you get the same results without this workout plan? Sure. But some people need a plan. This does all the prep work for you. Just plug in the DVD and hit play. So if you’re interested, click on the ad up there. If you buy, I get a little kick back. I only serve as an affiliate for products I have used and stand behind!